Thursday, December 29, 2016

The Fox


One night over the summer, I saw three fox kits by the side of the road. Another day while we were on a walk, my friend saw a grown fox in a clearing off to the side of the same road. We learned from our neighbor that there's a mated fox couple living in the woods in our neighborhood. Our neighborhood is tiny. It's just outside of town and is abutted by woods so there's quite a lot of wildlife here. 

My old neighborhood was not nearly as rural, so it's kind of funny that I saw just as much wildlife there. Maybe that was because my old city lay between a mountain and a river. My friend and I saw foxes a handful of times while walking through the city. We had all sorts of visitors in our back yard from raccoons to skunks to hawks and even a fishercat that showed up and scared the crap out of me with it's screaming late, late at night one week. It was even common to see bald eagles flying overhead on their way down to the river or up to the cliffs.

Well anyway, I've finally gotten back to and finished this drawing I started months ago. It's inspired by the foxes I've seen and the many, many tales about foxes in folklore and mythology. In all the stories I've read, foxes are highly intelligent and often have magical powers. Sometimes the fox is a mischievous trickster, and sometimes a loyal companion. I titled this "Kitsune" which is a Japanese word for fox because I like the Japanese stories I've read and the references in anime, too. The round thing at the bottom is a hoshi no tama--a magical gem said to hold the soul or life force of a fox. The fox carries it everywhere and if it's stolen, he will do anything to get it back because if he's separated from it for too long, he will die.

I'm tired even though I took a two hour nap earlier and slept a perfectly reasonable amount last night. Maybe my soul was attached to some random object I got rid of when we moved and my life is slowly burning out. That must be it. There's nothing else to explain this fatigue.

Good night.
-Steph


3 comments:

Andrew Kottenstette said...

Foxes calling to each other here last night as I accompanied my youngest outside at 2:30 in the morning. Took her a half hour to get cold enough to want back in. I can barely catch her or lure her to me. She is super shy.
Anyway, hope some energy comes back to you soon. Like all the products you are selling. Just can't buy any right now.
Happy New Year.

Andrew Kottenstette said...

Foxes calling to each other here last night as I accompanied my youngest outside at 2:30 in the morning. Took her a half hour to get cold enough to want back in. I can barely catch her or lure her to me. She is super shy.
Anyway, hope some energy comes back to you soon. Like all the products you are selling. Just can't buy any right now.
Happy New Year.

Steph G said...

Thanks Andrew.