Monday, February 13, 2017

Digital Cat Monday Is Not Entirely Digital!



What do you get when you cross a spider, a cephalopod, and a cat?

This drawing I started with watercolor marker on paper. Then I scanned it and finished it up in photoshop. This was a nice change from what I've mostly been doing which is start to finish digital. Before I started making illustrations, 99% of the art I made was nonobjective and focused heavily on the physical materials used. Mixing various materials, allowing their particular physicality to remain while integrating it well enough to create a harmonious whole is something I've always enjoyed. That's what I was working toward here. I feel pretty good about the results. I was also trying to find a balance between cute and weird. That was a fun challenge. Both Pan and Chibi gave this the stamp of approval so I'll likely be making more illustrations in this direction.

No comments: